After some unsuccessful interviews for jobs I wanted and another successful interview for a job I didn’t (on this occasion turning it down was definitely the right choice) I’m in need of a little motivation for the new year, so I thought I’d share 13 of my favourite quotes in the lead up to 2013…
1) Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out – Art Lunkletter
2) Everything is ok in the end. If it’s not okay, then it’s not the end – Anon.
3) When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, ’till it seems you cannot hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time the tide will turn – Harriet Beecher Stowe
4) Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent – Calvin Coolidge
5) It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get back up – Vince Lombardi
6) Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want – Dan Stanford
7) Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement – Jim Horning
8) The only good luck many great men ever had was being born with the ability and determination to overcome bad luck – Channing Pollock
9) Anyone who doesn’t make a mistake isn’t trying hard enough – Wess Robert
10) Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside of them was superior to circumstance – Bruce Barton
11) The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel – Steve Furtnick
12) Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm – Winston Churchill
13) Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could – Ralph Waldo Emerson
And here’s an interesting article: How to make decisions (it’s also reassuring to read the comments – we really do all make mistakes, and a lot of us find it hard to make decisions). The key thing I’ve taken from this article is clarification of the difference between following your gut and falling into psychological traps. If you can step back from your emotions and separate gut reaction from emotional reaction, then going with your instinct seems to make a lot of sense.
Happy New Year!